"Blowouts" before a race

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Jim Hoffman
Two Year Old

"Blowouts" before a race

Post by Jim Hoffman »

I know a lot of trainers (in real life) believe in "blowing out" a horse leading up to a race, believing it will sharpen them. Usually it's a 3 furlong breeze 3-4 days before the race.

Does this tactic work in the sim? Or, if I do it here, am I setting the horse up for disaster?
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Re: "Blowouts" before a race

Post by Cleo Patra »

A workout would definitely be a disaster. It takes 5-6 days to recover from a workout approximately, then you have to add shipping tiredness. However, if you vet a horse and they are ready to race, it’s pretty safe to gallop 3 days before they ship (so 5-6 days before race day). The vet is your friend. If they say the horse is tired at all, whatever work you do will take even longer than normal to recover from, so keep that in mind.

But usually racing every 2-3 weeks is sufficient to keep them fit and firing.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

You should go read Regina's articles here. It will save a lot of time and potentially keep you from getting your horse hurt. https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurerace/index.php
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

Cleo Patra wrote: 3 years ago A workout would definitely be a disaster. It takes 5-6 days to recover from a workout approximately, then you have to add shipping tiredness. However, if you vet a horse and they are ready to race, it’s pretty safe to gallop 3 days before they ship (so 5-6 days before race day). The vet is your friend. If they say the horse is tired at all, whatever work you do will take even longer than normal to recover from, so keep that in mind.

But usually racing every 2-3 weeks is sufficient to keep them fit and firing.
What Cleo said. :)
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

I give a timed workout a week before racing if the horse has 4 weeks between starts. In Year 46, my Triple Crown trotter Lifeholic had a four-week break before the Steward's Cup. He got a workout a week ahead and won by a super easy (for harness horses) two lengths in the SC.

When players wonder if it's "okay" to do something concerning tiredness, vet your horse frequently while you're doing the new thing to see how it reacts. That's the fastest way to develop instincts about where the tiredness limits are.

Also, the FAQ on Training Your Horse includes:
A timed workout will increase a horse's fitness and experience level, so if used in conjunction with a race, you will be able to give the horse a big boost going into the race. They can be also used to keep the fitness and experience high during a break from racing.

The important thing, in my opinion, is to make sure your horse is fully rested before doing a timed workout.