The Ink Slinger Awards

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Nan Lanson
Grade 3 Winner

The Ink Slinger Awards

Post by Nan Lanson »

For Year 28, I would like to hold a contest for the best article published in the Feature Race News. Throughout the year, people can nominate articles that they like, and at the end of the year, the best ink-stained wretch will receive a prize.

The Process:

1. When you come across an article, PM me with the name of the article and author.
2. I will keep a running tally of the votes.
3. At the end of the year, I will open a poll featuring the articles that had received the most votes during the year, for people to vote on. I also plan on having links to each article, so those not already acquainted with them can read them.
4. The winner receives a prize that, hopefully, they regard as fabulous.

Caveats:
1. You may not vote for your own articles.
2. When submitting a vote for an article, please list the name of the article and the author. This is so I can be lazy, copy/paste it into a word processor, and put hash marks by it if more than one person votes for it. If you simply tell me that the article about turf router breeding by Player X was good, I may not have the time to go and read it and write down the name, and then that would make your vote not count, which would be sad.

My ultimate goals, and reasons, for holding the contest are:
1. To provide positive reinforcement for people who write good, fun, entertaining, and/or educational articles;
2. To provide future aspiring writers with examples of what a ‘good’ article is. They’ll be able to look at the polls (because I would link to each article so people could re-read them when they voted) and see what made those articles so merit-worthy. So, in a way, I would be making a mini-archive that could be found in the forum.

The winner of Best Article will receive 20,000 GPs and S$10,000, the second-place finisher will receive 10,000 GPs, and the third-place finisher will recieve 6,000 GPs.

Much thanks to Bradley Davis, Jeb Clampett, and Jennifer Francis for contributing toward the prize pool!

So, please, enjoy reading the Feature Race News throughout the year, and let me know if there are any articles out there that you find particularly awesome. Thanks!
Last edited by Nan Lanson 13 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
Franky Dam
Eclipse Champion

Re: The Ink Slinger Awards

Post by Franky Dam »

Like button.
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Defintely "Lke"
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jennifer Francis
Hall of Fame

Post by Jennifer Francis »

thanks nan
Got to start from the bottom to get back to the top. Just wonder how long that will take in the game and in life.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Great idea for a contest.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Alex Puderbaugh
Hall of Fame

Post by Alex Puderbaugh »

Love the idea...you rock Nan!
Brianna: I just wanted something with balls.. :D
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

How did I NOT respond to this when it was first posted? So sorry Nan!!!

Of course, it's a fantastic idea....I hope you are already receiving submissions.
Bradley Davis
Eclipse Champion

Post by Bradley Davis »

I've chipped in another 15,000 GPs to be distributed in the contest at Nan's discretion. Great idea!
Abe Froman
Hall of Fame

Post by Abe Froman »

Nan,

Just wondering if this is getting any submissions.
Nan Lanson
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Nan Lanson »

*wanders back in*

I'm so sorry that I haven't been updating this! I had meant to promote it better throughout the year. If you have ever read this, the guilt spiral portion of it sums me up perfectly. :oops:

But, enough about me and my excuses -- yes, the contest is still running! And I have been receiving some submissions here and there. Thank you to all who have sent them in. I am keeping track of them and will post the poll during break to try to help give us something to do then. ;)

Much thanks to Mr. Bradley Davis for his generous donation of GPs. Thanks to him, I can both beef up the first place prize, and create a prize for second place as well!

Please feel free to keep your nominations coming in! I appreciate all of your support and effort.
Nan Lanson
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Nan Lanson »

Bump. :D

I will be closing nominations on Saturday night (Dec. 11th), with the hopes of getting the poll up sometime the next day. Until then, feel free to send in your recommendations. :) Thanks.
Jeb Clampett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jeb Clampett »

Great idea -- great contest! I've sent over 6K GP's to be used at your discretion.

I'm looking forward to the poll and (re)reading many very interesting articles!
"Luck is my middle name," said Rincewind, indistinctly.
"Mind you, my first name is Bad."

-- (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)
Nan Lanson
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Nan Lanson »

Yay! Thank you! I think this means there can be a third-place winner now, as well. ;)
Jennifer Francis
Hall of Fame

Post by Jennifer Francis »

Thanks again Nan but I doubt I'll even be in this contest. My articles are basically facts so I guess mine are boring. Still yet thanks again. I can't donate Gps but i will donate 10k in Sim Cash
Got to start from the bottom to get back to the top. Just wonder how long that will take in the game and in life.
Nan Lanson
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Nan Lanson »

Thanks Jennifer!