Workout Times

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

I apologize if this is a repeat, but I couldn't find any info pertaining to this on the SIMRacing site.
Can anyone tell me what are "good" or "average" workout times for dirt and turf at all distances? I've been guessing up to this point if my horses producing good times.
Thanks to anyone who takes the time to write all that down! :D
Anna Leroux
Hall of Fame

Post by Anna Leroux »

if you go to the racing forums and click on the top workout times it'll tell you the best workout times currently for each distance and the surfaces.
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

I did see that. But those are the best, not average. And my horses (being the newbie that I am) aren't even close to those. I'm just asking for the workout times so I can judge whether or not my horses are sprinters or routers.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

OK. A couple of points.

The speed of the workout does not necessarily indicate that a horse is a sprinter or router. Your number one determining factor as to the horse's distance capabilities is his or her pedigree. If dad and mom liked to run long, and ran well going long, your horse will also want to run long.

Second, if you are looking for average times, my guess is that 23.6 to 24.0 is average for 2 furlongs on the dirt (add about one second to the average dirt time, at any distance, to get the average turf time), 36.7 to 37.1 for 3 furlongs, 47.6 to 48 for 4 furlongs, and I don't work enough at the longer distances to really give you a handle on average for longer distances.

Finally, the speed of your horse in the morning is not necessarily an indicator of how good/bad he/she will do on the track in the afternoon. Go to page four of this thread for a discussion on that point.

<a href='index.php?showtopic=4181&hl=workouts&st=45' target='_blank'>ind...=workouts&st=45</a>

Hope that helps,

Laura
Rob Canterbury
Eclipse Champion

Post by Rob Canterbury »

My 2 cents..

Workout times are two very different beasts..

sprinters vs routers..

Laura makes a wonderful post as it pertains to routers but I disagree when it comes to sprinting.

In sprinting workout times are extremely positively correlated with success on the track. I personally love the sprint division because it is not rocket science. what you see is what you get. You can almost always look at workout times before a race and be pretty clear what kind of results you will get.

as for times I use the following as a framework..(and this is dirt only)

22.5 or less..stakes quality
22.5-22.7 unlisted stakes and allowance
22.7-23.0 maiden,nw2
23.0 -+ claimers

the sprinting division has become so tough and the pedigree of so many horses is so nice that sprinting has "tightened up the field" . In fact you will find no shortage of claimers that have run 22.8-23.0

As Laura says the pedigree is of the utmost importance as some milers and routers throw veyr fast 2f workout times. They might be somewhat competitive in the sprint races but it would be a waste of their overall talent by running in them in those races. some savvy owners will pick spots for the fats routers as two year olds to get some added experience and make some mroe money.

workouts are still somewhat subjective , and each trainer has a different take on how they "decode" them. This is just my personal take on 2f workouts.
Live Strong- Baltimore crown champion- dirt route
Its a Gamble--MONSTER!
Afriad to Lead-- SC winner
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Wow, thank you guys! That helped take some of the mystery out of them. Always nice to see what other people are doing.
Friedrich Barbarossa
Hall of Fame

Post by Friedrich Barbarossa »