Breeding season

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Mandy Saunders
Eclipse Champion

Post by Mandy Saunders »

Ok so I guess the question now is, when can we start breeding and who has already plotted the breedings for their new mares.

Any suggestions for my Victory Ride? I think I want to send My Typhoon to Atlas but that's not definite yet, but I sure am leaning towards it.
~ Mandy ~

Click here to visit The Stallions of Lakeside!

Last updated: Year 26, Break - Wow, it's been awhile, I need to get on that, lol

RIP Shelly & June...I will love you, always.
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

I've found a few good crosses for Six Perfections, but I still haven't decided which I like best. No plans for Dance in the Mood either... yet. B)

By the way, good farm advertising idea. Looky, I followed your lead. :D
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Ok, a few suggestions for you.

1) Lonhro x My Typhoon seems like a nice cross, though the Australian sires are going to be very much a crap shoot in the first few years of the SIM. There's no better way to find out if it'll work than by trying it, and if its your mare and your stallion there's a vested interest in seeing if it works. One of the things that I'm big into with this major influx of new stallions is finding out which new stallions are going to turn into big things, and to that extent, I've been arranging a lot of breedings that look promising to these horses among my own stallions. Atlas, who you mentioned earlier, is a solid cross, Lonhro is a crapshoot, but were she mine I'd be looking at Elusive Quality or Dubawi. Both are strong turf milers, which is what I consider Giant's Causeway's strongest suit, both as a racehorse and as a sire. My Typhoon is a half brother to Galileo, possibly the best Epsom Derby winner since Lammtarra (Sinndar could give him a run for his money, but thats a debate for a different day), so she may be willing to go a little further, but I wouldn't push my luck too far. Elusive Quality is 3x4 to Mr. Prospector, brings in the potent Gone West/Storm Cat cross (see Speightstown for why that works), and gives you a 4x4 to Northern Dancer. Dubawi was, for my money, the best turf miler in Europe last year, and is also 4x4 to Mr. Prospector. No Storm Cat in there, but there is a ton of stamina in the female family with Mill Reef and Dancing Brave in there. Halling is also a very interesting outcross.

2) Bear Fan crosses beautifully with a straight Mr. Prospector line sprinter. Aldebaran fits the bill, and E Dubai is a marvelous cross. City Zip is a nice cross, and he's a half brothe to Ghostzapper, so he might be worth a 2nd look. Riches Are Grand is an oldie but goodie. Avoid Roman Ruler, FuPeg is too similar to Pine Bluff to be appealing. Finally, Strong Hope is pretty.

3) Victory Ride crosses with everything that crosses with Sahara Gold pretty much. Basically, cross her back to a Storm Cat line sprinter for good things to happen. Avoid too much Mr. Prospector inbreeding (nothing closer than 3x4 or so). Speightstown is the best fit that I can think of right now, and I love Lion Heart in this cross too.
Lisa Lange
Two Year Old

Post by Lisa Lange »

Does anyone know if Conduit is still around??
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

Conduit is pensioned. However, he has at least a dozen good sons at stud. Among these are Horse of the Year Atlas, Kentucky Derby winner Loki Dynasty, Epsom Derby winner Le Dauphin Noir, Donn Handicap winner Konstantine, and Jockey Club Gold Cup winner Zinfandel.
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

No, he is not standing anymore. He is the sire of 10 two-year olds, several of whom will sell via the sale page or through auctions that will be held early in the year.

He is also the sire of 5 horses currently at stud:

1) Atlas (Conduit x Banner [Loki Flame]): Winner of $12,763,200, undefeated in 18 races (13 turf/5 dirt). He won such races as the G1 Golden Slipper Stakes (6f on the turf) and on the other end of the turf spectrum, the Breeders' Cup Turf (1 1/2 miles on turf). He won the Dubai World Cup, Breeders' Cup Classic, and three other G1 stakes on dirt, and is possibly the most accomplished horse in SIM history. A case could be made for some dirt horses, but they'd be hard to support.

2) Konstantine (Conduit x Forever Risk [Priceless Forever]): Winner of $2,179,000 and 9 of 12 starts. His biggest win was in the G1 Donn Handicap, and he was third in both the Preakness Stakes and the Dubai World Cup. May have been best at 1 1/8 miles, but his pedigree is unmatched, Forever Risk was maybe the best filly that the game has seen.

3) Le Dauphin Noir (Conduit x Les Batons Magique [Cigar]): Winner of $3,005,200, and 8 of 14 starts. Winner of the Epsom Derby and Irish Derby, his pedigree is worth paying attention to, and he may be a cheaper version of Atlas at stud, though he hasn't been tried as a sire yet. He was stellar at age three, and though he was very, very close to being one of the elite at age 4, he failed to crack through and win a big one while playing with the big boys; his only win against older horses was in the G2 Kentucky Cup Turf, where he managed to avoid the superstars and cruise home a relatively easy winner. His pedigree invites a number of really interesting crosses, especially for Loki Flame mares who don't fit Atlas (the Cigar x Sahara Gold cross produced Lokite Magic, whom I regard as one of the most underrated turf stallions around).

4) Loki Dynasty (Conduit x Sahara Gold [Seeking The Gold]): Winner of $4,443,200 and 12 of 13 starts. Out of a broodmare that most would rank the most prolific in game history, he was a $12,000,000 auction purchase (perhaps only a few of the horses that I've bought have gone over this number, but I'm not absolutely sure of that. Anyway, he won the Kentucky Derby, then in a Spend A Buck-like move, didn't run in the Preakness, choosing instead to shoot for the Canadian Triple Crown, which he breezed through. That feat necessitated winning at 1 1/2 miles on the turf, something he managed easily. The real trick is that he went from 1 1/2 miles on the turf to 6 furlongs on the dirt for the Truckle Feature Memorial Handicap, where he pounded the good sprinter Black Light into the ground, cantering home to a 2 1/2 length triumph. His only loss came to Atlas in the Breeders' Cup Classic. Again, there are myriad crosses available for this one.

5) Zinfandel (Conduit x Smart Glow [A.P. Indy]): Winner of $2,922,000 and undefeated in 12 races. He was impressive while winning 2 G1 races as a two year old, but didn't compete in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile, so we never knew how he stacked up against the best that year. The same was true of his three year old year: he DESTROYED the Florida Derby, cruising home an 11 length winner but then skipping the Triple Crown. He came back to annex the Haskell Invitational, but opted for the New York Derby instead of facing the heavy-hitters in the BC Classic. As a 4 year old, he won on dirt and turf and for the first and only time in his career, faced a true heavy-hitter when he clashed with Accolade in the Islein Handicap, and he came out 1/4 length the better of that one. He again opted for a late-season New York G1 instead of running in the Breeders' Cup, and let Jet-Ski headline the BC Classic while he came home an easy winner in the Jockey Club Gold Cup. So while we never got a real sense of how he stacked up to the division leaders, he's got the pedigree and race record to at least be afforded a very good shot at stud. He's got 37 foals on the ground, and while none have jumped up and made a name for themselves, he's looking like he may have potential.

Hope that helps!
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

I could have sworn he had more retired sons. There are probably several that will retire within the year, however.
Susie Rydell
Eclipse Champion

Post by Susie Rydell »

Just someone to keep in mind for those nice sprinting mares - Runaway. Champion Sprinter in Europe and the US. Probably never got the kind of mares he deserved, but was responsible for a couple nice ones. He was a freak up to a mile, with his only loss coming to the brilliant Tulloch as a two-year-old. G1 winner on dirt and turf.
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

I liked Runaway.
Ronda Figal
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ronda Figal »

I personally LOVE Runaway...One of my first halfway decient horses(for me,lol) was a daugher of his Drifting Angel(i think)...